Coming up with a winning game plan together.
Participating in sports is a great way to keep healthy and active, but it can also be hard on the body. Sports medicine physicians have specialized training in the treatment and prevention sports-related injuries and conditions. These specialists can provide care for everyone from the dedicated athlete to the weekend warrior.
Common examples of musculoskeletal concerns treated by sports medicine specialists include:
- Acute injuries (like ankle sprains, muscle strains, knee and shoulder injuries or fractures)
- Overuse injuries (like rotator cuff and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures)
Non-musculoskeletal concerns that can be addressed by sports medicine specialists include:
- Injury prevention
- Concussion (mild traumatic brain injury) and other head injuries
- Athletes with chronic or acute illness (including asthma and diabetes)
- Exercise prescription for patients who want to increase their fitness levels
- “Return to play” decisions for the sick or injured athlete
- Recommendations on safe strength-training and conditioning exercises
Sports Medicine providers specialize in non-surgical treatment of sports-related injuries and conditions. When surgery is the appropriate treatment, the sports medicine specialist can guide referrals orthopedic surgeons and physical and occupational therapies.
DeKalb Orthopedics &
1411 Old Water Works Road SW
Fort Payne, AL 35968