Weight Loss Is a Journey; Let Us Be Your Guide
Gastric bypass and other weight loss surgeries help you lose weight by making changes to your digestive system when things like exercise and/or diet are not working for you or you have serious health complications due to your weight. While bariatric surgery can offer a range of benefits, any form of weight-loss surgery is a major procedure that can pose serious risks and side effects.
That’s why we are here to help you every step of the way. Our Bariatric-trained and board-certified general surgeons perform a variety of minimally invasive weight-loss procedures which may provide the life-changing results you are seeking. Our surgeons have provided bariatric surgery services in Fort Payne for over 20 years, giving more than 500 men and women the chance for a new lease on life.
Why Bariatric Surgery?
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, more than one in 10 Americans over the age of 20 are morbidly obese. The relief of numerous medical conditions by weight loss operations is well known and scientifically proven. Bariatric surgery will help you reduce the risk of developing potentially life-threatening weight-related health problems that could include:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease and stroke
- Sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
Who Is a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
You may be a candidate for weight loss surgery if you are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 35
- Obese with a body mass index of 35 or above
- Struggling with obesity-related conditions (see above)
- Currently trying to or have tried in the past to lose weight through other means such as diet and exercise
- Psychologically ready for weight loss surgery and willing to commit to a whole new lifestyle
- Not drug or alcohol dependent
Our Services and Options
With DeKalb Medical Group, we are interested in caring for “the whole you.” You will meet with our skilled weight-loss surgeons, who will walk you through your history and goals, answer any questions and see if you are a good candidate for a weight-loss procedure. Our weight-loss surgery team features a dedicated dietician and nurse specialists who will work closely with you and your primary care physician to create an individualized plan that promotes positive change, inside and out.
Our board-certified surgeon specializes in laparoscopic techniques, which typically require just a few small incisions, offering a host of benefits as compared to more invasive, open surgery, including less pain, less scarring, less risk for infection, fewer complications, shorter hospital stay and a faster recovery time.
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery is considered by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and the National Institutes for Health as leading surgical tool for significant lasting weight loss. It works by making the stomach smaller, allowing for smaller meals. It also causes food to bypass part of the stomach and small intestine, causing less absorption of calories and important changes in hormones that help to promote fullness.
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Also called gastric sleeve, this procedure removes approximately 80% of the stomach, leaving a small tubular pouch. People are full with much smaller meals. It also changes the hormones in the stomach, helping to reduce hunger
Are you considering bariatric surgery? Let us help get you started down the right path today. Call 256-845-4131 to request an appointment.